Marion B. Pollock Award
This $3,000 award, conferred by SOPHE on behalf of the Foundation for the Advancement of Health Education (FAHE), will be presented to a talented and committed teacher in an elementary, middle school, or high school for graduate study at the master's level. The applicant must be currently enrolled in an accredited college/university in the United States or a U.S. territory in a health education program and be able to demonstrate six (6) completed credit hours in the program of study.
Applications are accepted every summer/fall. Deadline: Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 11:59 p.m.
- Evidence of ability to link health needs of children to school health education
- Teaching experience
- Professional goals
- Potential to advance the practice of school health education
- Caliber of documents submitted
- Current resume or curriculum vitae. Use the following categories, presenting the material in reverse chronological order where applicable.
- Personal information
- Current program and institution
- Degrees earned, names of institutions and year of graduation
- Employment experience and dates of employment
- Professional presentations: titles, dates and locations of presentations
- Professional publications
- Professional memberships
- Professional committee involvement
- Voluntary community service activities
- Any other extra-curricular or professional activities
- Transcript from the institution granting the most recent degree, any coursework that fulfills requirements in pursuit of the master’s degree
- Written narrative describing the role of school health education in meeting the current health needs of children and youth, the applicant’s personal and professional goals, and how the educational program is going to advance the health of children and youth. The maximum length for this narrative is five (5) double-spaced pages. Include sub-titles for each of the areas
- Three (3) letters of recommendation. One of the letters must be from the applicant’s advisor or a faculty member of the department where the applicant is enrolled.
Application materials must be received by the SOPHE office by 11:59 pm EST on Saturday, September 30, 2017.
Application materials should be assembled and submitted as a single PDF document. Free online tools to convert a document to pdf: smallpdf.com
Pollock Fellowship documentation check list:
- Online Application Form
- Current resume or curriculum vitae
- Written Narrative
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
Awards are recommended by the SOPHE Awards Committee and approved by the executive committee.