Vivian Drenckhahn Student Scholarship
This $2,500 scholarship is awarded annually to three deserving full-time undergraduate or graduate students who are national SOPHE members and who have excelled academically, demonstrated a commitment to addressing the public's health through a career in health education, and who have demonstrated financial need.
Students applying for this award must currently be pursuing a health education degree (e.g., health education, community health education, public health education, school health education), and must have completed at least one-third of coursework required for their major. This award is designated for tuition support and is paid directly to the student’s academic institution.
Awards are presented at SOPHE's Annual Conference and individuals will also receive an $800 21st Century Scholarship to attend the conference.
Applications are accepted in the summer/fall.
Eligibility criteria and requirements:
- National SOPHE Membership for at least three months (visit http://www.sophe.org to join)
- Active participation in a National SOPHE sponsored committee, task force or other initiative for one year following the receipt of the scholarship.
Sponsored students who receive a SOPHE 21st Century Student Scholarship are not eligible for the Vivian Drenckhahn Student Scholarship Award during that calendar year, January – December.
- Evidence of current enrollment as a full time undergraduate or graduate student pursuing a health education degree (e.g., health education, community health, education, public health education, school health education)
- Must have completed at least one-third of coursework required for major
- Must provide a copy of the “degree requirements” for the program of study
- Must present a current, official transcript including course titles
- Letter of recommendation from a faculty mentor that describes
- Nominee’s commitment to the pursuit of a degree in health education
- Nominee’s academic qualifications of applicant
- Nominee’s service activities related to health education
- Written statement from the student applicant (not to exceed two pages, double-spaced, at least 10 pt. font) addressing:
- Issues impacting the future of health education
- Nominee’s perceived roles or desires for contributing to the resolution of these issues
- Student applicant resume
- Demonstrated financial need as verified by the completion of the “SOPHE Vivian Drenckhahn Student Scholarship Demonstrated Financial Need Form.” The form should be completed and signed by either the department chair or financial aid office and either stamped with department/institution seal or attached to official institution letterhead.
Application materials must be received by the deadline.
Nomination materials should be assembled and submitted as a single PDF document. Free online tools to convert a document to pdf: smallpdf.com and pdfmerge.com
Questions? Please contact email@example.com
Application check list:
- Online application
- Evidence of current enrollment in an appropriate full-time academic program
- Copy of the degree requirements for the program of study
- Current, official transcript including course titles
- Evidence of National SOPHE membership for at least 3 month
- Faculty mentor letter of recommendation (including required elements)
- Student applicant statement (including required elements)
- Student applicant resume
- SOPHE Vivian Drenckhahn Student Scholarship Demonstrated Financial Need Form
Awards are recommended by the SOPHE Awards Committee and approved by the executive committee.